Pay-per-use licences for Quebec universities

For any type of use that isn’t covered by your university’s comprehensive reproduction rights licence, you need to get permission before using the content. Copibec can give you permission by issuing a pay-per-use licence (also known as a transactional licence or specific authorization).

When do you need permission?

You need permission to use content whenever:

Fees and exclusions

Fees apply for any use not allowed under your university’s comprehensive reproduction rights licence. The cost is $0,12 per page, up to a maximum of 25% of the publication, and is applied only to the number of pages exceeding the comprehensive licence’s limits. If you’d like to reproduce more than 25%, Copibec will contact the copyright owners to ask for permission and the applicable rates.

If the content appears on the Exclusions List, you’ll need to get permission for use directly from the copyright owner, publisher or author.